During the initial weeks that ducklings come into the world, they look so cute and people can’t stand not to look at them. In the beginning, they don’t do much of anything except eat, sleep and poop, just like human infants do.
As they get older, their feathers start to appear and they don’t look too much like the adorable darlings that first came on the scene. They grow very quickly and within a matter of weeks, it’s time for them to have larger housing.
Since a duck is very delicate, they can are not to be tossed around like a toy. They cannot be pushed to the side just because you don’t feel like spending time with them. If that’s the case, then don’t get one.
They cannot be sent out in the wild where they can roam free. Domestic ducks are raised in captivity and have been for a long time. Therefore, they cannot fly because their legs are not strong enough.
They cannot fly to food elsewhere when food for the winter is not available. If they don’t have anyone to take care of them, they will not survive. Some people who don’t know what they’re doing, will feed them the wrong foods, such as nuts and chocolate. Doing this will help them to leave this earth quicker.
If you have children, it can be a complicated situation to take care of ducks too. If you can, keep the children and ducks separate. On the other hand, both raising children and ducks are time consuming.
You may want to wait until the children can fend for themselves and you can devote more time to the animals. By that time, the children will be able to assist you in taking care of them.
If you have a dog or a cat, it might not be a good idea to have a duck. They both look at ducks as food to eat. They are not very happy about an innocent animal being in your home. They feel that the duck is a threat and trying to invade their space. So you will have to make a decision as to what you want to do.
Since ducks require attention, you should not try to raise one if you are not going to be able to devote the time and care that they need. It’s not like trying to find a baby sitter for your children, which can also be difficult. Having someone to sit for your duck is not something that many people would be willing to do.
Make sure that you will be able to afford paying vet expenses when you need your duck(s) need medical treatment.
Ducks are considered exotic, so you will have to take them to a special vet that specializes in exotic animals. Because of the specialty, it will cost you more for maintenance and medical treatment. If you can’t afford it, then don’t get a duck.
People have to remember that ducks are special pets and that they cannot be left anywhere. Many ducks are dumped every year because people find it difficult to take care of them. Yes, they are more difficult to take care of than dogs and cats.
There are so many things that you have to do in order to keep them healthy and thriving. The best thing to do is to read about the proper care of ducks before you decide to get one or more.
Choosing A Breed
For first time duck owners, it cannot be stressed enough to make sure that you are ready to raise and take care of a duck or a whole slew of them.
Choosing a breed will depend on the purpose that you want the duck for. If you want a pet, you must know that some breeds will not connect to humans. They would rather be with their own.
The best breed of duck that would interact with humans in the Pekin duck. They like people and they are outgoing. They also like to play and they are very friendly with others. This breed of duck would make one of the best kinds to raise.
If you are looking for one to show off, there are some that have beautiful colors. The Khaki Campbell has a bronze hue. The Cayuga is lovely with its green color. Either of those breeds can make a house feel warm and decorative.
If you want eggs from the ducks, think about the runner duck breed. They can provide some of the best eggs among the domestic ducks. They are easy to locate and some of them are great as pets. If you are able to interact, spend time and properly take care of them, they can be a wonderful addition to your family.
When you are breeding and raising ducks, it’s important to know what kind of breed you are working with. Each breed is different and has their own personality. There are many breeds of ducks and some of them will be discussed here.
Call Duck Breed
– This breed is used for ornamental reasons. This duck is smaller than most of the other duck breeds.
Cayuga Duck Breed
– This duck is of a black color, but does have some green in it. It is an American duck breed and they are larger than the Call Ducks. The females weigh around seven pounds and the males weigh around eight.
Crested Duck Breed
– They come from a mixture of two other breeds of ducks, the Pekin and the Aylesbury duck breeds.
Like the call duck, the crested duck breed is used for ornamental purposes. On their heads, you will see feather tufts.
Khaki Campbell Duck Breed
– This is an English duck breed and they are one of the breeds that is good for raising ducks for eggs.
These ducks produce around 300 duck eggs every year. However, since they are lightweight, they are not recommended for meat. They are also ornamental in nature.
– This duck breed is considered to be unattractive. It has feathers that are a mixture of grey and white, while their crest is pink and red.
You can also find this duck in other colors, such as blue and purple. The female ducks can weigh up to 10 pounds and the male ducks can weigh up to 15 pounds. This is a breed that is not known for swimming.
– This is an English duck breed that is used for ornamental reasons. They can weigh up to around nine pounds whether they are a male or female.
– This breed is the most popular one in North America. These white ducks are prime property for making good meat. As far as laying eggs is concerned, they are not primed up for that. The female Pekin can weigh as much as eight pounds, while they male can weigh as much as nine pounds.
– This is not a very popular breed and it is rarely seen. You won’t find too many breeders for this one and may become extinct.
– This breed is similar to the Mallard duck and some people will get them confused with the former.
This is a very popular breed and for those who are into backyard poultry, they love the Rouen duck. They are good for the meat market. They are one of the more easier breeds to raise and are able to take care of themselves.
– This breed is known for being good egg layers. However, this is one that the meat market would not want. They are popular and people do use them for laying eggs. Female and males can weigh up to four pounds.